SESAME-CRUSTED BEEF PHO
- 3 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tbs coriander seeds
- 2 tbs fennel seeds
- 1 tbs peppercorns
- 1 tsp cloves
- 3 tbs sesame seeds
- 1ltr beef stock
- 2 brown onions, sliced
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, sliced
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 375g pkt rice noodles
- 650g beef fillet, excess fat trimmed
- 1 cup fresh peas in pods
- 200g enoki mushrooms
- 1 lime, quarted
- 2-4 small fresh red chillies, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160 ° C and bring a full kettle to boil. In a large saucepan toast the star anise, cinnamon sticks, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, peppercorns and cloves. Transfer 1 star anise, 1 cinnamon stick, 1tsp coriander seeds, 1tsp fennel seeds and 1tsp peppercorns to a mortar and pestle. Finely ground.
- In the large saucepan add the onion, ginger, beef stock and 2 cup of water to the spices and bring to the boil. Leave simmering while you prepare the beef and rice noodles.
- Add the sesame seeds to the spice mix. Place the beef on a tray, coat in the sesame spice mix and bake for 15mins. Place rice noodles in a large flat bowl and cover with boiling water and a lid (or foil).
- Using a large spoon and sieve remove the cinnamon stick, star anise and ginger from the beef stock. Stir in lime juice and fish sauce.
- Remove beef from the oven. Leave to rest for 5mins then thinly slice. The beef will still be rare in the middle but will cook more when placed in the boiling beef stock.
- Divide noodles among serving bowls. Pour over hot stock. Top with enoki mushrooms, snow peas, basil and chilli (if using) and the sliced beef. Serve with the extra lime, chilli and fish sauce.